Thursday, February 26, 2009

Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman


I always pause and investigate when I see book jackets that look remotely Indian-- I blame it on my Bollywood obsession. The thing about YA books from/about India is that you can, in my experience, count on them having the same basic plot:  young teen girl, everything starts out nice but then, uh-oh, you are getting old, you should put away your girlish dreams of education/ independence/whatever, instead we should probably arrange a marriage for you, but hey, maybe by the end something will happen that will make us think that you should get to do what you want.  The only real difference is that with those Shabanu books it took a trilogy and a lot of depressingness to get there, whereas here it all happened in a couple hundred pages.  Of course, it makes sense--the melodramatic Bollywood style of storytelling wouldn't really work in book format, and this remainder is, I am forced to assume, a realistic picture of typical Indian teenage life?  It was a pretty good book, all things considered.  It takes place in the early 1940s, mid- WW2, pre-Indian-independence, so there's a layer of "Jai Hind, down with the British oppressors, way-to-go-Gandhiji" freedom fighting to set against the main character(I already forgot her name, I am awful)'s personal struggle for independence.  As far as these books go, it was a good one.  No Huger Games of course, but then, what really is?  Thank you, Suzanne Collins, for ruining my life.  Everything else will just be okay.  

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I compare everything to Hunger Games now. And everything FAILS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a secret BLOG!! I'm mildly offended that you have kept it from me this long-I had to go back and read all your posts-which cost me a lot of Sesame Street distraction time!I have a running list of books to read now. So you are pretty luke warm about most of these-why not post about Hunger Games or some of the other good books you referred to bout six posts ago? I know I already read the former-but I want to hear what you have to say about it. I'm excited to have an exciting blog to read-so I forgive you for making me find it on my own (or with Becca's help:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh Katy, I think she's really mad at you.

    ReplyDelete