Thursday, February 12, 2009

Underworld by Catherine Macphail


Guys I have been reading some duds lately.
I checked this book out after finishing Hunger Games, because after reading that little piece of delight I did a library search for books about survival (this was also after The Road, so you know, yikes) and this is the first one that came up.  Turns out books about teens and surviving and whatnot are not all created equal.  Duh, I guess.
Anyway it's about these 5 kids in the UK who go on this class trip and end up getting trapped in this underground cave system, and they're all very different (cue Breakfast Club soundtrack) but then somehow none of them are at all sympathetic or likable, until the very VERY end where they're all like "Oh yeah probably this experience should be teaching me how to relate well to others, I guess I had better go do that real quick; also, I guess there is a mythical beast down here, and sometimes there are excerpts from a German soldier's memoirs talking about this one time he got trapped down here as well?  Um?"
So yeah, meh.  It got better when I started skipping pages and skimming.  That's never a good sign.

1 comment: