Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hawksong, by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes



I don't know why they decided to have pictures of ugly people on the cover of this book--the only reason it is worth reading at all (and I'm not really saying it is...) is for teen romance value, which is only interesting at all if you have really attractive mental pictures.  This is scientific fact.  Anyway, this book is basically what would happen if instead of vampires Twilight were about the teenage queen of the bird shape shifting folks and how she had to stop a never-ending war with the snake shape shifters by marrying their teenage king, and they were all distrustful at first and it was kind of awkward but then in a couple hundred pages they realized that they were in love.  Which is to say, the story is pretty thin, but you keep reading for the kissing parts.  Which aren't even that good. Is that okay to say?  Oh gosh.

Anyway, the internet just informed me that this might be the first of a series, which I would actually think about pursuing, because the only real problem I had with this book is that it was so obviously just about the romance that though she spent a lot of time talking about these random societies of shape shifters she invented, none of it was interesting or deep--it was clearly just the afterthought to the tense glances and you know, whatever other things typify angsty teen romance.  BUT if it continues into a series maybe that means that she'll expand more on some actually solid story-building things that will make it seem like something worth while and recommendable.  As it is, Becca, it's pretty okay fun, and a kind of interesting romance, but not really worth going out of your way to find.  


3 comments:

  1. I guess that means that if you hand it to me, I'll read it. If not, I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it. It's good that it's a series, because you're right, they really don't go into any of the interesting stuff that they talk about. Snakeboy is nice, at least. Sorry, I mean, ZANE (snort).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds vaguely like the movie Ladyhawk. Well, in that there's people that turn into animals. So maybe reeeaallyyy vaguely.

    ReplyDelete