Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


Okay so I remember when this book came out, sometime mid-high school, and it got all popular and famous and everyone read it, so then even though I was somewhat interested I was like NO I will not read it it is for PLEBES.  Then when I started going on a reading rampage a couple weeks ago I thought Um okay why not, also since Liz Lemon mentioned it somewhere last season of 30 Rock (when she's interviewing with the board of that condo place and she's apologizing for saying she read it when she really didn't. . . anyway it's funny).  OKAY so: Turns out I think I was right to begin with?

So, okay, it's about this young teen girl in the 70s who gets raped and killed by this creepy neighborhood guy and then goes to heaven and watches her family and friends dealing with it for the next ten years.  So um, okay, knowing, going into it, that that was the premise, I was skeptical, but then you know hey if the rest of the universe loves it there must be something that makes it okay, right?  Um. . . nope.  Not in my book at least.  First of all, way too much detail about the gross murder-ness.  Okay not like GROSS detail of anything, but still.  Ugh.  And then it's all just depressing because it's her family grieving and falling apart and then yeah eventually coming together again, but still.  Still.  Nothing fabulously enlightening enough to make up for the basic premise being bleak and awful.

BUT that being said, I hear they're making a movie with Rachel Weisz and Mark Wahlberg, and okay I will totally see it.  Probably in the dollar theater though.  

1 comment:

  1. I actually enjoyed this one. I thought it was kind of nice to watch her friends and family work through the grieving process and see how that one event shaped their lives. But I also read it a long time ago when I was a lot less picky, so it's possible I wouldn't care for it as much now.

    Also, do you like how I'm working my way back through your archives and commenting on EVERYTHING

    ReplyDelete